Listen Up Brampton Car Accident Victims!
Car accidents are stressful and scary, but knowing what to do after a crash can make the situation easier to handle. Here are some steps you should take if you get in a car accident:
1. Stop your vehicle and check for injuries. You should never leave the scene of an accident, even if it’s minor. You could face criminal charges for hit-and-run if you do. Instead, stop your vehicle as soon as possible and check if anyone is injured. If someone is hurt, call 911 and request an ambulance. Don’t move the injured person unless they are in danger.
2. Move your vehicle to a safe place If your vehicle is still drivable and there are no serious injuries, you should move it off the road to avoid blocking traffic or causing another collision. Turn on your hazard lights to warn other drivers and use cones or flares if you have them.
3. Call the police or a collision reporting centre. Depending on the severity of the accident, you may need to call the police or a collision reporting centre. You should call the police if:
You should call a collision reporting centre (instead of the police) if:
You can find the nearest collision reporting centre in Brampton by visiting: www.peelpolice.ca/en/report-it/collision-reporting-centres.aspx
4. Exchange information with the other driver and witnesses. You should exchange the following information with the other driver:
You should also get the names and contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident. Don’t admit fault or apologize to anyone, as this could affect your insurance claim.
5. Take photos and notes of the scene. You should document the scene of the accident as much as possible. Take photos of both vehicles, any damage, skid marks, road signs, traffic lights, weather conditions, and injuries. Write down the date, time, location, and direction of travel of both vehicles. Draw a diagram of how the accident happened and note any relevant details.
6. Call your insurance company. You should report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. They will ask you for details about the accident and guide you through the claims process. Be honest and cooperative with them, but don’t accept any settlement offers without consulting a lawyer first.
7. Seek Medical Attention and speak to a Car Accident Attorney. Even if you don’t feel any pain right after the accident, you should see a doctor as soon as possible. Some car accident injuries may not show up until later such as Whiplash Injury, Brain Trauma, Concussion, Bone Fracture or Internal Bleeding. Call us immediately if you are experiencing any of the following car accident symptoms:
Keep all your medical records and receipts for any expenses related to your car accident injury. This includes any car accident Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Massage and Psychologist bills and also any medications.
You may also want to consult a car accident lawyer if you have any questions about your rights or responsibilities after an accident. An accident lawyer can help you negotiate with your insurance company or file a lawsuit against the other driver if necessary. Our network works closely with medical and legal professionals and we can help get you the help you need.
Car accidents can be traumatic and overwhelming, but following these steps can help you protect yourself and your interests. Remember to stay calm, be safe, and seek help when needed.
By: Haninder Dhillon
Co-owner of DRS Physio & Wellness and DRS Mobile Therapy
Co-owner of DRS Physio & Wellness and DRS Mobile Therapy.